The Elevated Classic Italian Salad:
Panzanella is a traditional Tuscan Salad with Tomato, Onion, Basil and Stale Bread in a Vinaigrette dressing.
Our version is a High Street adaptation with the addition of Burrata, Green Bellpepper and Sundried Tomato.
4 Large Tomato, Deseeded, Cut into Large Cubes
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Cut into Strips (batonette)
1 Red Onion/Spanish Onion, Thinly Sliced
Handful of Basil
1 pc of Burrata (approx 150g)
1/4 cup Sun-dried Tomato, roughly diced
1 Cup Stale Bread (Preferably Crusty White Bread like Ciabatta or Sour Dough), cubed into 1cm x 1cm
For the Dressing:
4tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1.5 tsp Oregano (Fresh or dried)
Salt and Pepper
Can add Honey to liking, incase a sweeter dressing is preferred
- Mix all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a mixing bowl, with the help of a whisk.
- Take 1/4 of the dressing in a separate bowl and add the onions to it. Let infuse for 30 mins, as to pickle the onions and cut their sharpness.
- Meanwhile in a bowl toss together the Tomato, Bell pepper, Sun-dried Tomato, Basil Leaves and Bread.
- Add the reserve salad dressing to the veggies, give a light toss and let infuse in the fridge for 30 mins to an hour.
- Before serving, sprinkle the pickled onions and place the Burrata cheese in the centre of the salad.
- Ensure to season the Burrata with salt and pepper.
- To make the salad Vegan, simply skip the Burrata. Can replace with some more vegetables like Zucchini or Cucumber. Can add Vegan Cheese as well.
- The Salad pairs well with a glass of Crisp Dry White Wine and Dry Rosé.
- Skip the Cheese for a healthier option: Poached/ Pan Fried Fish. Our favourite is Tilapia, Red Snapper and Rainbow Trout.
- Can use Cherry tomato, Yellow Pear Tomato, Tomatillo, Sweet Orange Tomato and Purple Tomato as well, along with the classic tomato.