This Tomato and Ricotta Tart is easy to make, super delicious and perfect for serving as a party appetiser or main.
Best enjoyed with a chilled glass of White Wine or a Summery Spritzer.
The recipe is courtesy, Vedika, our sister/granddaughter, who over this lockdown has embraced her inner chef.
- 1 Roll Store Bought Puff Pastry
- 2.5 Cups Cherry Tomato
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Mixed Herbs (Basil, Parsley and Oregano)
- 1 Lemon, Zested and Juiced
- 1 Scallion, Finely Chopped
- Salt and Pepper
Caramelised Onion :
- 1 Onion, Sliced
- Pinch of Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Balsamic
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2tbsp Honey Balsamic Reduction
- Fresh Herbs
For the Base:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- For the base, roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle (approx 4 inch by 8 inch in size and 1 inch thick).
- Score the middle pastry sheet with a sharp knife, ensuring to leave a 1 inch margin all around.
- Brush lightly with some butter or egg wash.
- Bake in the oven till golden brown (18-20 mins).
For the Ricotta and Tomato:
- Meanwhile, toss the tomatoes with Salt, pepper and Olive Oil. Then roast in the oven for 15-18 mins.
- For the Ricotta mix, combine together the cheese, herbs, scallion, lemon zest. Lightly Season with Salt and pepper.
For the Caramelised Onion:
- Melt a tbsp of butter in a pan on low heat. Sauté the onion till lightly browned. Add a pinch of brown sugar and continue to sauté. Deglaze with 1 tbsp Balsamic and cook till the liquid evaporates.
- Spread the Ricotta mixture evenly across the tart base, ensuring to keep the 1 inch margin.
- Top with the Roasted Tomato and Caramelised Onion.
- Drizzle the Honey Balsamic Reduction on top. Garnish with herbs.
- Can switch lemon zest to Orange Zest.
- Can switch tomatoes to roasted assorted vegetables or a combination of Grilled Chicken Breast, Sun-dried tomato and Olives.
- The uncooked Puff pastry base should be stored in the freezer.
- To make appetiser size, cut the puff pastry into 3 inch rounds using a cookie cutter.
- Vedika served the Tart with Strawberry Caprioska.